Friday 4 May 2012

Some new friends x

As promised I have returned and promise to blog on a much lighter note this evening!  I also mentioned that I have been working on some new products, and this post gives you a little insight into my little one/ world.  If you follow my blog or have seen my work before you will know that I love trees. Love with a capital 'L' I find them magical, intriguing, comforting, grounding...I love the way they change with the seasons, the roots and trunk and branches and leaves...I also love the things that you might find in a tree, like a beautiful baby bird or even better a tiny tree house.  Ok, I think I've illustrated my point...

Anyway I have long been thinking about my little trees; the Happily Ever After Tree and my favourite Miss Peabody and wondering what little creatures might live in their trunks or climb their branches. That led to many happy hours of sketching and scribbling.  As usual for me I designed far too many little peeps and then had to be vaguely business minded and narrow it down to just a few...so here they are, works in progress...



Below is little Isabella, she is frightfully serious and needs a little encouragement to lose her inhibitions and just have fun!  She wouldn't dream of climbing a tree but instead nests in the hollow trunk of Miss Peabody wrapped in a cosy blanket knitted by her mum and only comes out when her scarf is carefully in place.  She does love to draw, play hopscotch with her woodland friends and has a splendid collection of pebbles, leaves and acorns all kept in shiny glass jars on very tall shelves deep in the trunk of the tree...


'Hello' says little Isabella...she comes with a pink stripy sweater and matching pink scarf or her weekend attire of a pale green knit with matching scarf...nb she doesn't like to mix and match...I did warn you she is quite a particular little bunny...



Now you might recognise this little chap...yes, he is Trevor from the Topsy Turvy Tree.  I have had so many requests for a cuddly Trevor to sit alongside his tall skinny tree.  He has a very smart green waistcoat with three shiny green buttons.  He has strong legs and floppy arms so he can wrap them tightly around you...


And finally the baby of the group...little Mille.  You need to keep an eye on her, she is a real 'curious george' and doesn't always do what she is told.  She lives in the branches of the Love Apple Tree and often eats so many sweet juicy apples that she gives herself a terrible tummy ache. Mille loves to play hide and seek, I hope you won't lose her!


Alas I have slipped into my little one/ world...I am most definitely a frustrated story teller.. I have dreams of huge collections of my tree cushions lining sofas and heaped onto beds making wonderful magical  enchanted forests.  I love to think of children inventing stories about the trees and making life long friends with Mille, Trevor and Isabella...whispered conversations to these special trees and forest friends long after the lights are switched off and they are tucked up in their snuggly beds...

And so to bed for me...and in case you're wondering Miss Peabody is on my bed.  She props me up whilst I am reading and then scrunches up when I fall fast asleep. Jake has a large collection of trees and friends in his nursery and I can't wait until he asks me to tell me why Mr Melancholy tree is sad, or why does Trevor live in the Topsy Turvy tree

2 comments:

The Little Cloth Rabbit said...

these are very sweet :)

Anna @ Mischief, Flapjacks, Pantone & Me said...

Hi Kate, it's great to see you back blogging again. I've been away for a while myself and just been catching up. I can't believe you have an 'Isabella', I'm about to become god mummy to a new little arrival called 'Isabella' this weekend (hopefully, as long as they don't decide to change her name!) so I will absolutely be requesting one of these!! They are SO cute. You are super talented. I have my little trees hanging on my wardrobe doors. Keep up the great work, you have at least one fan right here :-) X